Monday, September 9, 2013

How Good Readers Become Great Readers

I thought this was worthy of sharing.  I don't think that it ever hurts to be reminded about how we can become better at something.  This year all 7th and 8th grade students should be reading about 20 minutes a day.  I understand that we all have busy schedules and this is just a goal.  I have tried to mention different ways that the students can meet this such as, reading 10 minutes in the morning and 10 minutes at night,  reading while waiting to be picked up after practice or reading right before bed.  Some of my classes need to turn in their reading minutes each cycle so it is really important that they are keeping track of their minutes.  Also, students should be planning on getting 8 book talk points this quarter.  There are posters of the points and how they get those points in my classroom.

How Good Readers Become Great Readers
Look at the pictures.
Practice Reading. (just like everything else we need to practice)
Read "just right" books.
Read in your spot. (try to find a spot that is quiet and comfortable)
Read the whole time.
Share and talk about your books.

No comments:

Post a Comment